Thursday, April 15, 2010

Jack Herer's legacy rolls on...

I've just learned of Jack Herer's passing. I remember and give thanks for having shared a few steps on the Hemperor's path.

Like a stone rolling to the water's edge and into another dimension, Jack's energy and passion have been transformed in concentric circles of grassroots influence. A movement born of environmental necessity, Jack Herer was pilot trainer for a generation of aviators at the stick of Spaceship Earth, flying Cannabis awareness and activism into the 21st Century.

I remember the first time we met at the San Luis Obispo hemp conference, early December in 1992. A few of us were smoking a jay outside in the twilight. He autographed my worn and highlighted copy of "The Emperor", thumbing through the dog-eared pages, smiling with satisfaction at seeing his work so thoroughly studied. Next to a sketch of a B-1 bomber encircled by peace activists, the origin of the peace symbol by Jack's account, he wrote,

"To Paul, Thanks for reading and teaching Hemp knowledge. It's what my Partner Capt. Ed & I wanted to do and the way we wish to reach people and we're glad we reached you. Love Jack"

I've been teaching, expanding and digesting hemp knowledge ever since. I never imagined it would take so long to achieve something so necessary.

Bless the soul of this great man. He has left a wake both wide and deep.